Force arrows prevent any creature or object from moving opposite or nearly-opposite to the direction they point. This is true whether the object or creature in question is attempting to move onto the force arrow, or already on the force arrow and trying to move off. For example, suppose a roach is standing on a force arrow facing south. The roach cannot move if it tries to walk north, northeast, or northwest, as those directions are opposite or nearly-opposite south. It can, however, move away if it tries to walk in any other direction. Serpents cannot move over force arrows, regardless of the position that they are facing. However, all other snake types can.
- With the release of The Second Sky, orbs and pressure plates could affect the state of force arrows. If a force arrow is deactivated, it has no effect on movement, and its appearance becomes a dashed outline of a regular force arrow.
- If a force arrow is placed on top of a yellow door, a fire trap or a light pole it can't be affected by an orb or a pressure plate, the element underneath the arrow will be affected instead.
- Arrow rotator tokens will rotate all force arrows in the room, whether active or inactive.
- Active force arrows are considered obstacles to brained monsters, no matter what direction they point.
- Roach queens cannot lay eggs on top of active force arrows.
- Tarstuff and fluff won't grow on top of active force arrows.